Monday, January 09, 2012

Review: Undefeated

Documentarians Dan Lindsay and T.J. Martin have created a Friday Night Lights for a new decade. Their stellar football film captures the struggles of a downtrodden program. The inspirational and moving tale reveals the joys and angst of the game, positing that football reveals character rather than builds it.

The access and footage the filmmakers procure is fascinating, and almost hidden-camera like. A feature film could easily be developed from this material, but I doubt it would touch the essence of what makes this doc superb.

The story unfolds in a genuinely unpredictable way, with heartbreaking, magnificent twists. I'd rank it alongside Go Tigers as one of the best football documentaries I've seen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree. Just saw it at a preview screening. Very moving and inspirational. I really cared about what happened to these kids.